A museum preserves a collection of objects that constitutes its collection.
When an object enters the museum, it starts a new life under the responsibility of conservation professionals. They preserve it and display it to the public in exhibition rooms or digital display.
The Henri-Martin Museum is a ‘Musée de France’ (Museum of France), a designation given by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs.
The Law and the Heritage Code state that it must preserve permanent collections, enrich them and present them ‘for the knowledge, the education and the enjoyment’ of the public.
Enriching the Collections
The Henri-Martin Museum holds 11,000 cultural artefacts.
Some were donated by their owners during their lifetime, others were bequeathed. Some were purchased by the city from private individuals or at auctions.
Sometimes the works were commissioned from the artist or entrusted to the museum by the State, other museums or collectors. Finally, the origin of some works remains a mystery and we must leave room for doubt.

Henri MARTIN (Toulouse, 1860 – Labastide-du-Vert, 1943)
Before 1938
Oil on hardboard
60 x 50 cm
Although flowers were present in Henri Martin’s works from the start of his career, his flower studies and floral compositions only really appeared at the end of his career, around 1925. The painter was aging and long periods of standing outdoors were tiring. Settling down in front of a freshly picked bouquet placed on the table was a form of comfort.
The wild flowers or garden flowers offered Henri Martin a new subject for study and experiment, renewing his exploration of the relationship between light and colour. He paid particular attention to shades of white and pink. What’s more, his light brushstrokes perfectly conveyed the lightness of these summer flowers.
Donation: Henri Martin, 1942

Henri MARTIN (Toulouse, 1860 – Labastide-du-Vert, 1943)
Around 1934
Oil on canvas
74.5 x 95 cm
It’s early spring. In the foreground, the young poplars are putting out their first leaves. Further on, a few trees stand with gnarled trunks. At the end of a dirt track, in the middle of an acid-green meadow, stands the clog-maker’s house.
Henri Martin has a particular attachment to this house, a little out of the way from Labastide-du-Vert. Unlike Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, there is nothing picturesque about this village. Like this clog-maker’s house, it’s its modest nature that makes it appealing.
Donation: Henri Martin, 1942

René Letourneur (Paris, 1898 – 1990)
1932
Marble
82 x 65 x 45 cm
At the request of the town of Cahors, the State in 1933, commissioned René Letourneur to produce a bust of Léon Gambetta. Letourneur provided a plaster model and its translation into marble for the sum of 12.000 francs.
The sculptor drew his inspiration from Gambetta’s death mask, lent by one of his admirers. Strangely, the latter resembled the politician… Letourneur, therefore, asked him to pose for him for a few sessions.
On loan from the State after 1933
Restored in 2022 with the help of the ‘Fonds Régional d’Aide à la Restauration’ (Regional Restoration Aid Fund).

In 1936, the ‘Confédération des Artistes Intellectuels’ (Intellectual Artists’ Confederation) organised an Artists’ Exhibition Train.
Equipped to display paintings and sculptures, its mission was to cir culate works of art throughout the country, showing that the 200.000 intellectual workers, counted at the time, were in solidarity with each other. The event, which took place at the Cahors Train Station on 28th July, was a success: it generated 21 times the takings of Lyon. The town of Cahors bought three paintings by artists from the Lot, stressing that they were ‘works by compatriots’ acquired ‘as an encouragement to less fortunate workers. The works are by Edmée Larnaudie, Germaine Sebal and Yvette Feydel. The subject depicted illustrates the diversity of the Lot’s architectural heritage.
Yvette Feydel (Cahors, 1913 – Toulouse, 1972)
1936
Oil on canvas
46 x 32 cm
At the end of the 13th century, the medieval town was expanding. To protect it, new fortifications were built. One notably subsists, the ‘Porte Saint-Michel’ (Saint Michael’s Gate), now the entrance to the cemetery.

1– Bes amulet
Glazed terracota
The god Bes is depicted wearing a tuft of feathers, his face grimacing, his hands resting on his hips and his legs slightly bent and
spread. A very popular god, he warded off evil influences with his dances and grimaces. He protected, in particular, homes, women
and children.
Donation: Gay-Lussac, before 1886
2– Anubis amulet
Glazed terracota
Amulets are small objects that people keep close to them because they are supposed to protect their owners. Anubis, the jackal-headed god, is a funerary god who presides over the embalming of bodies and death.
Donation: Gay-Lussac, before 1886
3– Udjat or wedjat eye amulet
Terracota
This eye presents a trail of blood on the underside and a tear on the side. It evokes a battle between 2 gods in which Seth pulled out Horus’ eye. Defeated, he had to return the eye to Horus. Horus, after purifying it, puts it back in place and, to hide the wound, applies kohl make-up. The eye of Udjat is thus the symbol of the power of the god of light, who triumphs over all attacks. Udjat means ‘he who is in good health’. A beneficial sign, ensuring health and energy, it was one of the favourite amulets of the ancient Egyptians.
Donation: Gay-Lussac, before 1886
4– Scarab
Enameled terracota
The scarab beetle was an animal charged with many symbols. The ancient Egyptians thought that female scarabs did not exist. Therefore, to reproduce, the males were obliged to deposit their seed in a ball that they rolled around with their front legs. This movement evoking the course of the sun, this amulet summons notions of perpetual rebirth and regeneration. The dish at the back is decorated with two crocodiles engraved in relief.
Donation: Gay-Lussac, before 1886
5– Shu amulet
Glazed terracota
The god Shu, who represents air, supports the sky with his hands.
Donation: Mazuc, before 1886
6– Sekhmet amulet
Glazed terracota
Sekhmet, the lioness-headed goddess, is standing with her arms at her sides; her legs have disappeared. She is wearing the uraeus disc, i.e., the solar disk. A reminder that the sun’s rays can be devastating.
Donation: Mazuc, before 1886

Egypt, Late Period
750 – 30 BC
Red terracotta
The canopic jar was used in ancient Egypt to preserve the viscera of the deceased. As part of funeral rituals, the organs were removed to prevent putrefaction of the body to be mummified. The lid of this type of vase can take the shape of a head. Four specific gods, the sons of Horus, were each responsible for protecting an organ: Imsety (human form) the liver, Hapy (baboon) the lungs, Qebehsenuef (falcon) the intestine and Duamutef (jackal) the stomach.
Donation: Gay-Lussac, before 1886.

(All) On loan from the ‘Société des Études du Lot’ (Lot Study Society), before 1954
1– Medal from the 1889 Universal Exhibition
Louis-Alexandre BOTTÉE
(Paris, 1852- Paris, 1940)
1889, bronze, Ø 2,5 in
This medal was awarded to the Municipal Art School (École municipale de dessin – Cahors?). On the obverse, a female figure places a laurel wreath on the head of a man leaning on an anvil. On the reverse, the ‘Renowned’ blows a trumpet and wraps an arm around Marianne’s bust.
2– Medal of Choir, Harmonies and Fanfares
Anonymous engraver
Bronze, Ø 2,4 in
On the obverse, three standing women dressed in antique style, the one in the middle is holding a score. On the reverse, a laurel wreath.
3– Medal from the 1889 Universal Exhibition
Daniel Dupuis – Jean-Baptiste-Daniel Dupuis, known as (Blois, 1893 – Paris, 1894), engraver
1889, bronze, Ø 2,5 in
On the obverse, the title : FRENCH REPUBLIC. Marianne’s head in profile with a branch of laurel. Reverse, the title: UNIVERSAL EXHIBITION // PARIS 1889. A female figure is showing a man the city of Paris with the Eiffel Tower.
4– Token for the director’s fee for the ‘Siege of Paris’
Anonymous engraver
1870, bronze, Ø 1,3 in
On the obverse, the title: SIEGE OF PARIS – MDCCCLXX. The space left free allowed the owner of the token to write his name in ink. On the reverse, a female figure representing the Defence of Paris, stands on the ramparts of the city, holding a sword in her right hand, pointing at the enemy. In her left hand, she holds a folded flag. To the left, soldiers are loading a cannon. To the right, other men are armed with rifles.
5– Medal from the 1865 Cahors Exhibition
Auguste BESCHER (? – ?), engraver
Alfred BORREL (Paris, 1836 – Chevilly-Larue, 1927), engraver
1865, Copper, Ø 1,6 in
Obverse: NAPOLEON III EMPEROR. Bust of Napoleon III in profile, a laurel wreath on his head. On the reverse, the title: TOWN OF CAHORS EXHIBITION OF 1865 (town of Cahors coat of arms).
6– Medal from the 1881 Cahors Exhibition
Anonymous engraver
1881, Silver, Ø 1,4 in
Obverse, the title: CAHORS’ ARTISTIC AND INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION 1881. Laurel wreath. This exhibition seems to have been linked to the Regional Agricultural Competition that opened on 21st May 1881 and to the National Exhibition of Arts, Industries and Horticulture in Cahors, which closed on 26th June. On the reverse, the title: TOWN OF CAHORS. Coat of arms of the town of Cahors.
7– Advertising token for an umbrella manufacturer
Aumoitte (? – ?), engraver
Brass, Ø 0,8 in
On the obverse, the title: TO JONC PHENOMENE GALERIE FEYDEAU FARGE MANUFACTURER PASSAGE DES PANORAMAS
On the reverse, the title: CANES, UMBRELLAS, PARASOLS / PARIS
Canes and umbrellas intertwined, all under an open
parasol, constitute a pastiche of a coat of arms.
8– Token of the Phonograph Exhibition
Anonymous engraver
Nickel silver, Ø 0,9 in
Obverse, the title: 26 BD DES ITALIENS / PARIS / PHONOGRAPH EXHIBITION
A cock, the emblem of the Pathé brand, crows in front of a phonograph derived from the Graphophone Eagle. At the end of the 19th century, phonograph merchants set up hearing aids for their customers, sometimes in dedicated rooms. The most famous was probably the listening room at ‘Pathé’s Salon du Phonographe’ on Boulevard des Italiens in Paris, which opened in 1898.
People bought an audition token in order to listen to a record.
On the reverse, the inscription: ‘DEPOSEE’ (REGISTERED).
9– Medal of Monseigneur Grimardias
Anonymous engraver
Brass, Ø 1,1 in
Title: SILVER ANNIVERSARY SOUVENIR OF HIS GRACE PIERRE ALFRED GRIMARDIAS BISHOP OF CAHORS (LOT) 1891
Title: ROC AMADOUR (LOT) 6TH AUGUST 1891
Coat of arms of His Grace Grimardias Pierre Alfred Grimardias (Maringues, 1813 – Rocamadour, 1896) was Bishop of Cahors from 1866 to 1896. The Henri-Martin Museum was the bishop’s palace in the 19th century. The coat of arms of Bishop Grimardias can be found in several areas of the museum. The coat of arms features three silver horns. Have you seen them in the previous room, the former bishops’ dining room?

6th-5th century BC
Black ceramic, bucchero
8 x D 19 cm
Bucchero is a black ceramic supposedly to resemble metal. This type of ceramic, obtained through a particular firing process, was produced by the Etruscans, a people who settled in modern-day Tuscany (Italy) between the 7th and 5th centuries BCE.

Bogdan Konopka (1953, Dynów, Poland – 2019, Paris)
2001
Photograph, printed on baryta paper
16.8 x 20.5 cm
From the 1980s onwards, Bogdan Konopka worked on the theme of the ‘invisible town’. He is as interested in sumptuous historic towns as he is in banal suburban villages. In January 2001, at the initiative of the Henri-Martin Museum, the artist explored secret places in the town of Cahors. This photograph shows the bishops’ dining room (which you have just passed through), at the time, it was closed to visitors and cluttered with floorboards.
Commissioned by the town of Cahors, 2001.

17th century
Oil on canvas
66 x 55.5 cm
Inscription: IT IS.THE WIFE.OF GIRON.DADINES.// D’HAUTESERRE.DEAD AT 22 YEARS OF AGE.LIVING.IN // 1500
This painting was bought from an antique dealer in Vannes by Mr Schnéegans, a university professor, and donated to the Cahors Museum.
The inscription states that she is the wife of Giron Dadines. This may have been Géron Dadine d’Hauteserre. He is known for having saved the relic of the ‘Sainte-Coiffe’ (Holy Cap), during the plundering of Cahors by Protestants in 1580. His portrait, in the same style as this one, is now kept in the sacristy of the Saint-Etienne Cathedral.
As indicated by the clothes worn by the couple, these representations date from the 17th century. Some families had them made to display in their homes as a reminder of the greatness of their lineage, or gave them to religious institutions in memory of prestigious ancestors.
Donation: Schnéegans, 1906
Restored in 2022 with the help of the ‘Fonds Régional d’Aide à la Restauration’ (Regional Restoration Aid Fund).

792 Rue Emile Zola – 46000 Cahors
Tél. 05 65 20 88 66 – www.musee-henri-martin.fr